AlzU Icon
Alzheimer's Universe

Discussion Forum

AlzU Home > Forum > Welcome! > Topic

legal guardianship

Posted by jake g  
legal guardianship
December 01, 2016 09:46PM
My mother has Alzheimer's disease and we (me and my siblings) are trying to do some financial and legal planning for the future. I'm wondering what type of legal paperwork is required in order for me as a caregiver to take over the finances and make medical decisions for my mom when she's no longer able to handle things on her own. Is a legal power of attorney the only document required?
Re: legal guardianship
December 02, 2016 10:24PM
Hi Jake,

My mother also has Alzheimer's disease and is beginning to have problems managing her finances. My family has started the process of implementing a power of attorney in order to be able to take over, pay her bills and manage her affairs. We too have been wondering just what all we need to do to be able to legally make decisions for her as her disease progresses. If you discover any new information, I would appreciate it if you could share it on this forum. Thanks so much and good luck to you and your family.
December 07, 2016 09:23PM
Thanks so much for posting your questions about legal guardianship for family members with Alzheimer's disease. We have posted some new information on this topic on our caregiver videos. Click on the following You Tube link,[www.youtube.com] to watch a video titled Legal and Financial Resources. Featured on the video is information on advanced healthcare directives, HIPPA releases, power of attorney information, insurance benefits and more. If you have more questions after you view the video, feel free to let us know.

The AlzU.org team
April 30, 2018 07:55AM
What is the difference of a living will or medical POA? In nys, POA, Advanced living, Heath Care Proxy, and Molst. Am I covered so that my family has what is necessary?
June 22, 2018 08:17AM
As her health conditions are not very good you can ask from the experts like Health Exchange Agency to suggest you best medicare plan for your mother. There are various health care plan one can look at this site for detailed information and select the suitable one for your loved one.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Why Join?

Alzheimer's Universe has been created by medical experts to help learn the latest about AD diagnosis, treatment & prevention

Prevention & Treatment

Learn about the latest tips used to help reduce AD risk, delay onset of symptoms, and how to manage AD using a comprehensive approach

Join Now

Learn More

Click on the button below to learn about why Alzheimer's Universe was created, how it works, and what to expect after joining

Learn More

As Seen On:

The Today Show CNN.com

Share AlzU.org with friends and family: