AlzU Icon
Alzheimer's Universe

Discussion Forum

AlzU Home > Forum > Welcome! > Topic

assisted living home for my mom

Posted by helen  
assisted living home for my mom
October 21, 2016 12:02AM
Hi, My mother is 50 years old. She is going to get her gastric bypass surgery done soon. The problem is since I study out of town, there won't be anyone to take care of her. A family friend suggested moving her to a assisted living home, here in Bridgewood called Prestige Care. Here are the details of it : [www.prestigecare.com]
We have taken an appointment there to see the place. Can anyone please tell me, what are the things we should be looking for there? Especially for someone who had a gastric bypass surgery. How long will she need to stay in a place like that?

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 10/21/2016 12:04AM by helen .
Re: assisted living home for my mom
November 04, 2016 04:57PM
Dear Helen,

When searching for an assisted living facility, it is important to consider various aspects such as:

Will they be able to accommodate and support someone recovering from a gastric bypass surgery?
Is there a specific age range for residents?
Do they take residents for short stays? If so, are there rooms available at the time for short stays?

Other general points to look for include:

- The location of the facility and how accessible it will be for residents to be visited
- The appearance of the facility, cleanliness, odors, and room occupancy
- Available activities so that residents can be entertained during their stay
- The food offered and the environment where meals are provided
- The costs for the stay and what is considered a short stay
- The availability of keeping a resident's belongings
- Do Staff members seem friendly and professional and are they available in the evenings, in case help is needed?

Overall, the amount of time your mother spends in an assisted living facility will depend on her recovery. This is a decision that you and your family will have to make together, as she starts to feel better. You may also consider the possibility of hiring someone to stay with her at home, this can be a more affordable, financial option. We hope this helps!

- The AlzU Team
Re: assisted living home for my mom
May 04, 2018 03:10AM
Thanks for the help admin, you have mentioned some important points that needs to be considered while looking for an assisted living.

Edited 1 time(s). Last edit at 05/04/2018 03:10AM by nicholas .
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Why Join?

Alzheimer's Universe has been created by medical experts to help learn the latest about AD diagnosis, treatment & prevention

Prevention & Treatment

Learn about the latest tips used to help reduce AD risk, delay onset of symptoms, and how to manage AD using a comprehensive approach

Join Now

Learn More

Click on the button below to learn about why Alzheimer's Universe was created, how it works, and what to expect after joining

Learn More

As Seen On:

The Today Show CNN.com

Share AlzU.org with friends and family: