Mother no longer can hear/understand me on phone
August 23, 2015 11:07AM
For years, I have called my mother on the phone once each week and our conversations lasted 30-35 minutes. Our conversations shortened to less than 20 seconds, and my mother always asked me when I would visit her again (we are in different states). Two months ago, my mother yelled that she could not hear me on the phone; it is possible that she cannot hear me and/or does not understand what I am saying. I feel that I am raising her frustration levels by calling her, so I am not phoning her at all. I get updates on her condition by contacting the rest home manager every two months. Do you think this is a smart approach? I do not think it is wise at this point to get her a hearing aid; the volume on her phone is apparently as high as it can go.
Re: Mother no longer can hear/understand me on phone
September 03, 2015 10:44PM
Hello, why do you say it's not wise to get her a hearing aid? My mom has hearing aids in both ears. I can only email her or talk face-to-face. I live about an hour away, so I am not able to see hear every day. She is living in a retirement home, so still mostly able to take care of herself.
September 04, 2015 07:04AM
Thanks for your reply. My Mom has mid-stage dementia and is having more difficulty caring for herself. I don't think she could deal with a hearing aid and may either hide it or throw it away. She is increasingly confused when communicating with others.
October 30, 2015 06:57PM
My mother-in-law lost both her hearing aids at her skilled nursing facility. The ENT that ordered her aids told me that eventually her AD will impede her ability to understand language and the hearing aids may not benefit her. I did find a phone for people with memory issues at Walmart.com. It is reasonably priced and has 9 spaces to put our pictures and pre-set phone numbers in so all she has to do is pick up the phone and push the picture to get the right person. It also has a blue button that makes the sound much stronger. Hope this helps!
October 31, 2015 01:10PM
Thank you. I think this is a great idea.
Sorry, only registered users may post in this forum.

Click here to login

Why Join?

Alzheimer's Universe has been created by medical experts to help learn the latest about AD diagnosis, treatment & prevention

Prevention & Treatment

Learn about the latest tips used to help reduce AD risk, delay onset of symptoms, and how to manage AD using a comprehensive approach

Join Now

Learn More

Click on the button below to learn about why Alzheimer's Universe was created, how it works, and what to expect after joining

Learn More

As Seen On:

The Today Show CNN.com

Share AlzU.org with friends and family: